Our center offers access to pediatric cardiology services for infants, children and young adults with all types of cardiovascular disease. We partner with the congenital heart surgery program at UVA Childrens Hospital, which is the only dedicated pediatric heart transplant program in Virginia. Our staff includes cardiologists, heart surgeons and nurse practitioners.
This is a detailed Cardiac Assessment by a special ultrasound for the fetus in the womb. The fetal echocardiogram provides information regarding:
- Fetal Cardiac Anatomy & Function.
- Fetal Heart Rhythm.
- Fetal Heart Failure & Distress.
Transthoracic, Transesophageal & Intracardiac Echocardiography
- Transthoracic Echo (TTE): This is an ultrasound of the heart; the corner stone of diagnosing structural heart abnormalities.
- Transesophegeal Echo (TEE): This is an ultrasound of the heart through a small camera inserted in the esophagus & stomach (when needed). Usually performed under sedation or anesthesia.
- Intracardiac Echo (ICE):This ultrasound of the heart is performed from 'within' the heart. The catheter that contains the camera is inserted in the vein into the heart chambers. This is usually performed during interventional cardiac catheterization procedures.
The Electrocardiogram is a graphical representation of the electrical work of heart muscle. It is useful in looking for heart rhythm problems, heart enlargement and other cardiac problems.
24-hour ECG (Holter) & Cardiac Event Monitor
The Holter is a device that is worn and attached to child's chest to record the heart rhythm over 1-2 days. The Event Monitor on other hand operates wirelessly and is smaller than the Holter. It is used over long periods to record the ECG when needed at home, and is activated during the 'event' by either the patient or a parent.
Arrhythmia Management & Pacemaker Programing
The pacemaker is 'interrogated' its settings adjusted on regular basis using a special computer (Programmer).
Exercise (Stress) Testing
The Exercise (Stress) Test shows how well the child's heart works and adjusts to different levels of activity. The workload achieved by running a specified distance helps diagnose various cardiac abnormalities as well guide children exercise capacity and sports participation
Interventional Cardiac Catheterization
Certain cardiac defects can be managed in the cath lab without surgery. Cardiac Catheterization is a procedure performed in affiliated hospitals by Dr. Hamdan to treat child's Dr. Hamdan practicing ICCheart defect using special techniques and a tools. Such techniques perform the repair without surgically opening the chest and heart.
In this unique and state-of-the-art investigation, Dr. Sulaiman can obtain detailed 3D pictures and information from all chambers of the heart to aid in diagnosis, and guide therapy. Cardiac MRI is performed in affiliated hospitals by Dr. Sulaiman
- Congenital or acquired heart disease.
- Heart rhythm disorders.
- Heart murmurs.
- High blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Heart failure.
- Childhood and adolescent obesity.
- Chest pain.
- Syncope and fainting.